Olly to the rescue
Published by Jason Kayley for Together Housing Group in Housing and also in Health
Hero Olly Barnes
A Pennine Housing 2000 employee has been labelled a hero after saving a tenant from poisoning.
Olly Barnes, a Grounds Maintenance Operator, was doing his rounds on the Thornes Park Estate in Brighouse when he saw the tenant pick up a bottle in the street, which he thought was an orange drink, and started to drink from the bottle.
The tenant, who has difficulty reading, had actually drank a well-known brand of orange bleach, and began coughing and complaining his throat was burning.
Olly, 26, from Leeds, had just recently completed his First Aid training, and was able to put his new skills practice.
Oliver took the tenant to another tenant and asked him to watch over the tenant, making sure he didn’t give him any water or anything to drink, whilst Oliver called for an ambulance. The tenant was then taken away to hospital and has made a full recovery.
He said: “I felt happy and proud that I actually helped someone for real since I completed my first aid training. It’s a relief that he’s ok but it goes to show the importance of First Aid, you just never know when you’re going to need it.
“We work with some vulnerable people in our communities and this just goes to show how a little bit of knowledge can potentially save a life.”
The Together Housing Group, of which Pennine Housing 2000, is a part, rewarded Oliver and the tenant that helped, with a voucher for their efforts.
Iain MacDonald, Estate management Co-ordinator, said: “This is a brilliant example of our First Aid-trained staff putting their skills to work and looking after the community on our estates.
“Well done to Oliver for his quick thinking and taking responsibility of a serious situation. He saved that tenant’s life”.
READ NEXT »