£10,000 bill for rogue landlord over filthy house
Published by Max Salsbury for 24dash.com in Housing and also in Legal, Local Government
Government to 'help halt court actions' on home repossessions
A rogue landlord has been fined £10,000 after allowing his tenants to live in overcrowded, filthy and unsafe conditions.
Officers from Ealing Council visited the Southall house, which was divided into six rented rooms, in June 2012 and found the property was dirty and in a poor state of repair.
Landlord Amarjit Singh was served an order to carry out repairs and clean up the property within two months.
However, when officers returned they found that not only had he failed to comply with the notice but had also rented out a further two rooms – which meant the property was overcrowded.
The council's officers additionally found damaged fire doors, a smoke alarm that did not work and broken windows in tenants’ rooms.
There was also black mould growing on the ceiling and walls of the kitchen, evidence of mice and cockroaches, and filthy bathrooms.
Appearing before Ealing Magistrates’ Court this week, Singh was convicted of 11 offences.
He was ordered to pay £6,750 in fines, £3,350 to cover the council’s costs for the case and a £120 victim surcharge.
The council will now seek to revoke his licence to rent HMOs within the borough.
Homes with unrelated tenants sharing communal facilities must be registered as HMOs to ensure they meet safety and quality standards.
Singh was collecting around £2,100 per month in rent from the property.
Councillor Hitesh Tailor, cabinet member for housing, skills and employment said: "This landlord showed a total disregard for the wellbeing and safety of his tenants. We will not tolerate this type of behaviour and will take tough action against landlords who leave their tenants living in unsafe and filthy accommodation.
"My message to criminal landlords is simple – we will come after you. Our new private sector strategy has signalled our intent to get tough on rogue landlords and improve conditions for residents."
READ NEXT »