Sign up to our Editors Choice newsletter now! Click here

THE GREAT EASTERN SAILS AGAIN – AS TEN NEW HOMES

Accessibility Menu

Menu Search

24dash - The UK's most up-to-date social housing and public sector news website

THE GREAT EASTERN SAILS AGAIN – AS TEN NEW HOMES

MAGENTA LIVING Logo

Published by katiejones for Magenta Living in Housing and also in Communities

Picture caption: MP Alison McGovern and Magenta Living Chief Executive Brian Simpson cut the ribbon to mark the official opening of Great Eastern View with tenant Mrs Bollans Picture caption: MP Alison McGovern and Magenta Living Chief Executive Brian Simpson cut the ribbon to mark the official opening of Great Eastern View with tenant Mrs Bollans

The former site of The Great Eastern pub in New Ferry has a new lease of life – providing 10 new family homes.

Magenta Living, the largest social housing provider on Wirral, has built the two bedroomed homes with local company G &A Homes Ltd carrying out the work.

One of the tenants of Great Eastern View, Mrs Georgina Bollans, hosted the official opening of the development attended by local MP Alison McGovern, Magenta Living’s Chief Executive Brian Simpson and Assistant Director Development, Steve Eaves as well other Magenta Living staff.

Alison McGovern and Brian Simpson cut a magenta ribbon with Mrs Bollans to mark the opening.

The £1.2m development was funded through grants from the Homes and Communities Agency and a private loan facility held by Magenta Living..

The 'Great Eastern' was a giant steam ship designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel, launched in 1858, and broken up on the River Mersey between 1888 and 1889.

The Great Eastern Pub dated from 1862 when Liverpool day-trippers began crossing the Mersey by ferry to New Ferry Pier when it became known as ‘The Great Eastern Picnic Hotel’, and the site’s history is commemorated with a plaque on the site of Great Eastern View.

By coincidence, in 1888, Isambard Kingdom Brunel's famous ship the SS Great Eastern was broken up on the nearby shoreline, and many artefacts from the ship were auctioned off as it was being dismantled. The pub's owner bought a number of these including the ship's bar to install into the building, wood panelling for the walls, the ship's wheel and a stained glass window.

These were all removed by the last owners of the building in the mid 2000s, and the pub closed down in 2007.

Comments

Login and comment using one of your accounts...