Stockport Homes strikes gold!
Published by Nicola Mileham for Stockport Homes in Housing and also in Environment, Local Government
Stockport Homes have been awarded Gold in the Sustainable Homes Index For Tomorrow (SHIFT) for their work to reduce the environmental impact of the organisation and the housing stock it manages.
Stockport Homes will be presented with the official accreditation at the SHIFT conference, taking place at Manchester Town Hall on 6 November.
The assessors said: "To achieve a Gold SHIFT award at a first attempt is exemplary and Stockport Homes and their Environmental and Energy Manager, Joe Keating is to be congratulated on this."
Key environmental achievements for Stockport Homes include:
- adopting a Climate Change Strategy and Environmental Policy;
- developing and maintaining an Environmental Management System;
- introducing a 'Green Champions' staff group;
- recruiting Energy Advisors to provide advice to customers on their energy usage;
- installing solar panels on 2,000 homes;
- investing in biomass boilers for district heating schemes and maximising capital investment through government initiatives;
- developing a 'Green Office Guide' for staff;
- introducing an 'Environmental Awareness Workshop' for all staff;
- developing a 'Cycle to Work scheme' for staff
Joe Keating, Environmental and Energy Manager, Stockport Homes said: "This is a fantastic success for Stockport Homes. It demonstrates our dedication to achieving our aim to: 'Create greener places to live and work and continually minimise our impact on the environment'. We will continue to strive to minimise our environmental impact."
READ NEXT »