Riversmead unveils new homes proposals to tackle East Herts housing shortage
Published by SRedford for Network Housing Group Limited in Housing and also in Communities
Riversmead Housing Association, one of the leading not-for-profit affordable housing providers in the region, is unveiling proposals to build up to 80 new homes across seven sites in East Herts.
The proposed new family homes are part of Riversmead’s continued commitment and long-term aspirations to create up to 450 more affordable homes over the next 5 years in the district, which has over 2700 local people on the housing waiting list.
The sites identified in Birch Green, Brickendon, Hertford and Ware are owned by Riversmead and are currently occupied predominantly by 1950s and 1960s concrete garages. The proposed work will involve the construction of two and three bedroom affordable family homes and they will be a mix of affordable rented and shared ownership.
Paul Huckstep, Executive Director at Riversmead, said: “The proposals demonstrate our continued commitment to provide the best possible housing for residents in East Herts. We are about to start a detailed intensive consultation process with local residents in each of the neighbourhoods. As well as providing additional homes, our plans will bring millions of pounds of much needed investment into the local economy and also create training and work opportunities for local people.”
Subject to the consultation programme and environmental, transport and design studies at each site, it is hoped that work on the new homes will begin during the autumn of 2013 and complete in early 2015.
Over the past two years Riversmead has completed four similar developments on former garage sites, including at Cundalls Road, Ware. Four semi-detached three bedroom homes and one detached four bedroom home included eco-friendly technology and meant the homes could meet the Government’s Code for Sustainable Homes Level 3.
Drop in consultation events are being held during February and March at the following venues:
- Parnel Road - Tuesday 26th February, 4pm - 6.30pm, Tower Primary School, Tower Road, Ware, SG12 7LP
- Berkeley Close - Thursday 28th February, 3.30pm – 6pm, Roebuck Hotel, Baldock Street, Ware, SG12 9DR
- Foxdells – Tuesday 5th March, 4pm – 6.30pm, Hertingfordbury Cowper Primary School, Birch Green, SG14 2LR
- Fanshaws Lane – Thursday 7th March, 6.30pm – 8pm, Brickendon Liberty Parish Hall, Brickendon Green, SG13 8PG
- Mount Road – Monday 4th March, 4pm – 6.30pm, Sele School, Hertford, SG14 2DG
- Hawthorn Close – Tuesday 12th March, 3pm – 6.30pm, Sele Farm Community Centre, 25 Perrett Gardens, Hertford, SG14 2LW
- Cecil Road – Wednesday 13th March, 4.30pm – 6.30pm, Hornsmill Community Centre, 115c Cecil Road, Hertford, SG13 8HS
At all the events residents will have the opportunity to view initial concept plans of how the schemes could look and give their views and opinions on Riversmead’s ideas for the area.
Visit www.riversmead.org.uk for more information.
A member of Network Housing Group - www.networkhg.org.uk
READ NEXT Â»