Sign up to our Editors Choice newsletter now! Click here

'Lucky escape' for four-day-old baby in south London house fire

Accessibility Menu

Menu Search

24dash - The UK's most up-to-date social housing and public sector news website

'Lucky escape' for four-day-old baby in south London house fire

24DASH.COM Logo

Published by Jon Land for 24dash.com in Housing

'Lucky escape' for four-day-old baby in south London house fire 'Lucky escape' for four-day-old baby in south London house fire

Seven people including a four-day-old baby escaped a house fire in New Malden, south London, this morning after a halogen heater fell over in a bedroom.

Three women, three men and the baby all suffered smoke inhalation in the fire and were taken to hospital. One of the women also suffered minor burns to her arm in the incident at Coombefield Close.

London Fire Brigade Watch Manager Steve Preston, from New Malden fire station, who was at the scene, said: “It looks like the heater fell over in the early hours and caused a fire to start in one of the bedrooms.

"You should always put halogen heaters in a place where they can't be knocked over – so it is important to place them away from beds and furniture. The house didn’t have a smoke alarm, so these people are incredibly lucky to have escaped."

Four fire engines from New Malden, Sutton, and Surbiton fire stations were at the scene with 21 firefighters and officers. The Brigade was called at 5.47am and the fire was under control by 7.10am.

READ NEXT ยป

Close Fact or Fiction: Birds

Fact or Fiction: Birds

Comments

Login and comment using one of your accounts...