Sign up to our Editors Choice newsletter now! Click here

3 hospitalised by CO poisoning

Accessibility Menu

Menu Search

24dash - The UK's most up-to-date social housing and public sector news website

3 hospitalised by CO poisoning

24DASH.COM Logo

Published by Max Salsbury for 24dash.com in Housing and also in Health

Mother arrested over death of 10-day-old baby Mother arrested over death of 10-day-old baby

Three people have been hospitalised by carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning at a house in Birmingham.

The emergency services were called yesterday after the victims reported feeling unwell.

Fumes from a barbeque had entered a residential property on Lodge Road in Hockley around 10pm last night.

Two ambulances, the Hazardous Area Response Team (HART) and a paramedic area support officer were dispatched to the scene.

A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokeswoman said: "All three patients were displaying classic symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning; they were complaining of nausea, vomiting and severe headaches.   

"The HART team used their specialised equipment to check the house for carbon monoxide and the levels of carbon monoxide poisoning in each of the patients.

"All three patients, a woman in her 30’s, a man in his 40’s and a man in his late teens all showed high levels (in some cases three times the average) of carbon monoxide in their blood.

"The patients were treated at the scene and conveyed to City Hospital for further oxygen therapy."

The news comes as the national charity Carbon Monoxide Awareness (CMA) faces closure.

CMA is run entirely by volunteers and needs around £25k a year to survive.

Lynn Griffiths, President of CMA, said: "The simple fact of the matter is that the current economic climate is forcing thousands of people into poverty and they don’t have spare cash for even essential maintenance, like having their central heating boilers and other fuel burning appliances serviced at the appropriate time.

"It’s a false economy and people are gambling with their lives, but when it comes down to a choice between putting food on the table and having a flue checked or an appliance serviced. I can understand where they’re coming from. These are desperate days and people are making desperate choices."

Approximately 4,000 people are diagnosed with low level carbon monoxide poisoning each year in the UK. Around 200 are admitted to hospital annually and 50 people die.

Comments

Login and comment using one of your accounts...