Sign up to our Editors Choice newsletter now! Click here

Tenants warned of air freshener danger after flat explosion

Accessibility Menu

Menu Search

24dash - The UK's most up-to-date social housing and public sector news website

Tenants warned of air freshener danger after flat explosion

24DASH.COM Logo

Published by Max Salsbury for 24dash.com in Housing and also in Communities, Health

Fire Fire

A housing association is warning its tenants about the risks of placing automatic air fresheners near to gas fires after an explosion at one of its flats.

Fire safety officers are now investigating the incident at one of Gloucester City Homes (GCH) properties on Wheatstone Road in Tredworth.

The explosion on Saturday night is believed to have happened after vapour from an automatic air freshener was ignited by a nearby gas fire. The blaze quickly spread as clothing left to dry in front of the fire was ignited.

GCH chief executive, Ashley Green, has now issued a warning to residents. He said: “I would like to emphasise to residents that air fresheners or other products containing flammable materials like aerosols or similar containers should not be placed on or near a heat source or open flame.

“Whilst this incident wasn’t caused by a faulty appliance, it highlights how important gas safety is and why tenants should always let qualified gas engineers into their homes to do their annual gas safety check.”

Station Commander Steve Bateman, who attended the explosion, said: “I reinforce the comments from Gloucester City Homes regarding the use of air fresheners or similar products in close proximity to a heat source. The occupants of the property in question were extremely lucky and this incident could have had a different outcome under different circumstances.”

Cabinet member for Housing, Health and Leisure, Colin Organ, added: “I want to emphasise that whilst this was thankfully not a gas explosion and no one was seriously injured it does raise the danger of any type of aerosol canister near a heat source.

“I know Gloucester City Homes takes gas safety very seriously. They have gas safety certificates for 100% of tenants’ homes.”

Comments

Login and comment using one of your accounts...