Sign up to our Editors Choice newsletter now! Click here

Londoners warned about their crystal knobs after bizarre London inferno

Accessibility Menu

Menu Search

24dash - The UK's most up-to-date social housing and public sector news website

Londoners warned about their crystal knobs after bizarre London inferno

24DASH.COM Logo

Published by Max Salsbury for 24dash.com in Health and also in Communities

Londoners warned about their crystal knobs after bizarre London inferno Londoners warned about their crystal knobs after bizarre London inferno

Firefighters have been warning Londoners about the importance of keeping crystal furnishings out of direct sunlight after a doorknob bizarrely sparked a house fire yesterday morning.

The sun’s rays refracted through the crystal doorknob and onto a dressing gown hanging from a door, which then caught fire.

Fortunately, the house in Clapham was empty at the time and a smoke alarm alerted builders working on an adjacent house who called the fire brigade.

Earlier in the year, the London Fire Brigade attended an incident in Romford when a crystal ball set light to curtains.

And last summer firefighters tackled a fire in Enfield caused by a vanity mirror which also set fire to curtains.

Charlie Pugsley from the brigade’s fire investigation unit said: “Crystal and glass ornaments and items such as shaving mirrors should be kept out of direct sunlight. The homeowners are lucky they had a working smoke alarm which alerted some local builders who quickly called the Brigade. Part of the bedroom was damaged in the fire but it could have been much worse.“

The brigade’s top three safety tips are:

• Keep mirrors and crystal or glass objects away from the sunny sills.
• Fit at least one smoke alarm per floor and test them every week to make sure they work and the batteries are not flat.
• If you have a fire, close the door on the blaze, get out stay out and call the brigade.

Comments

Login and comment using one of your accounts...