Social landlords urged to support deadly poison awareness week
Published by Max Salsbury for 24dash.com in Health and also in Housing
British Gas repairs more than 100,000 boilers during big freeze
Social landlords are being urged to pledge their support for the forthcoming Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week - an event that tries to draw attention to the dangers of the UK's most common form of poisoning, CO.
Charity Carbon Monoxide Awareness wants as many housing associations as possible to make it their charity of the year for 2014/15.
The charity's founder, Lynne Griffiths, believes that deaths and injuries from the effects of CO poisoning are on the rise.
Lynne said: "I believe the requirements for the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, detailing the duties of landlords to provide an annual landlord’s gas safety inspection record, ensure that any appliances belonging to them are serviced and maintained in accordance with the schedule set out in the manufacturer’s installation and servicing document.
"I wonder how many landlords ensure any appliances belonging to them are serviced and maintained in accordance with the schedule set out in the manufacturer’s installation and servicing document?"
Lynne and her family were unknowingly poisoned by CO over many years. Despite regular gas services, a partially-blocked flu had remained undetected in their home.
CO is the UK's most common form of poisoning. Official figures from the Department of Health show that every year in the UK 4,000 people are diagnosed with low-level poisoning, 200 are admitted to hospital and approximately 50 people are killed.
The poison is produced by the incomplete combustion of any hydrocarbon fuel, such as coal, charcoal, wood, oil, petrol, diesel, gas and LPG.
Lynne said: "Most people still appear to believe that you either die from carbon monoxide poison or make a full recovery. This isn't true as most victims of carbon monoxide poisoning usually suffer from long-term health complications.
"My youngest son is due to mark his 18th Birthday this Sunday while still living with the consequences of being poisoned by carbon monoxide."
Click here to read more about the work done by Carbon Monoxide Awareness and to pledge your support.
READ NEXT »