Fire brigade warning after e-cigarette explosion
Published by Max Salsbury for 24dash.com in Health
E-cigarette users are being warned to be on their guard after investigators said they believed one of the devices caused a fire in London at the weekend.
The London Fire Brigade was called to a blaze at a Barking flat on Saturday afternoon.
Four fire engines and over 20 firefighters attended and crews wearing breathing apparatus rescued a woman from the building.
She was suffering from smoke inhalation and shock and was taken to hospital by ambulance.
Investigators believe the fire was caused by an incompatible charger being used to charge an e-cigarette.
Charlie Pugsley, from the London Fire Brigade Fire Investigation Team, said: “People assume e-cigarettes are much safer than ordinary cigarettes, and in most cases they are.
“The danger is that people sometimes use incorrect chargers which runs the risk of over-charging, which can potentially have explosive results. We are calling on e-cig retailers to ensure they are selling the correct chargers for the cigarettes.
“As with all rechargeable electrical equipment, it’s vitally important that people use the correct type of charger for their e-cigs to prevent fires which can be serious and could even result in death.”
The brigade has warned that people should never leave items like e-cigarettes on charge over night or when they’re sleeping.
The fire follows an incident in Manchester where a woman sustained burns after apparently lighting an e-cig whilst attached to an oxygen cylinder in hospital.
READ NEXT Â»