Sign up to our Editors Choice newsletter now! Click here

Landlords urged to act as tenants suffer poisonous gas threat

Accessibility Menu

Menu Search

24dash - The UK's most up-to-date social housing and public sector news website

Landlords urged to act as tenants suffer poisonous gas threat

24DASH.COM Logo

Published by Max Salsbury for 24dash.com in Health and also in Housing

Couple found dead on Christmas Day 'inhaled carbon monoxide fumes from cooker' Couple found dead on Christmas Day 'inhaled carbon monoxide fumes from cooker'

A poll has found that many tenants in Scotland's private rented sector have suffered from the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning - but only just over half of renters have had a safety check and certificate provided by their landlord.

The YouGov poll of 1,387 PRS tenants discovered that 5% had suffered the effects of the poisonous gas in their homes - equivalent to 15,250 households.

Conducted on behalf of housing charity Shelter Scotland and Scottish Gas, the poll also found that 7% of PRS tenants have experienced a gas leak in the past five years, with 43% saying their landlord or letting agent did not carry out gas safety checks within the past five years.

Scottish gas engineer Paul Dailly said: “There are vital checks people can do to keep themselves and their families safe.

"Looking for signs of staining, sooting or discolouration on, or around, your gas boiler, fire or water heater; keeping vents in doors, walls or windows clear; making sure your chimney isn’t blocked and checking pilot lights and other gas flames to ensure they burn blue are all simple tests that can be done to help protect your home and everyone in it.”

Carbon monoxide can be produced in both gas and any fuel burning appliances. Shelter Scotland and Scottish Gas are calling on landlords to ensure they meet their gas safety responsibilities thereby doing all that is possible to protect their tenants from gas related carbon monoxide poisoning and gas escapes.

Graeme Brown, director of Shelter Scotland, added: “It’s shocking to think that in thousands of households across Scotland there are disasters waiting to happen because a simple safety check has not taken place. For households with children, this is an even bigger concern. Renters have a right to know that the property they are living in is safe.

“It’s absolutely vital that tenants are aware of the need to get an annual gas safety check. Meanwhile, landlords need to know that gas safety is not optional. Failing to get a gas safety check can and does put lives at risk.”

Comments

Login and comment using one of your accounts...