Sign up to our Editors Choice newsletter now! Click here

6 hospitalised by carbon monoxide poisoning

Accessibility Menu

Menu Search

24dash - The UK's most up-to-date social housing and public sector news website

6 hospitalised by carbon monoxide poisoning

24DASH.COM Logo

Published by Max Salsbury for 24dash.com in Health and also in Communities, Housing

6 hospitalised by carbon monoxide poisoning 6 hospitalised by carbon monoxide poisoning

Six people, including a two-year-old, have been hospitalised after suffering carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.

A 999 call was received from a property on Swinford Road, Wolverhampton yesterday afternoon.

A man in his 80s and a female in her 60s were among those taken ill.

A total of five ambulances, the Hazardous Area Response Team (HART) and a paramedic officer were sent to the scene.

The news follows Friday's report that a UK charity that raises awareness of CO poisoning is facing closure due to a lack of funds.

Lynne Griffiths from Carbon Monoxide Awareness said: "It's heart-breaking. People haven't got the money to service their appliances. Every gas supplier has an obligation to provide a free service on appliances for those on certain benefits. Social landlords have to look after their tenants but homeowners have a right to a free service too. The problem is that there isn't enough awareness of the service, which is why we are trying to draw attention to it."

A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokesman said: “All six of the patients displayed the classic symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning; they were complaining of sore eyes and throat, had been vomiting and had reduced levels of consciousness.

“The HART team used their specialised equipment to check the house for carbon monoxide and also to see the levels of carbon monoxide poisoning in each patient.

“The five adults, two men and three women, who ranged in age from their 20s to 80s all showed low levels of carbon monoxide in their blood, but high levels in their breathing. The two year old boy displayed similar readings.

“Fortunately this suggests that they had not been exposed to the potentially fatal gas for too long and will hopefully all make a full recovery.

“They were all taken outside and given oxygen to help them recover before being taken to New Cross Hospital for extended monitoring.”

Comments

Login and comment using one of your accounts...