Asbo for moped menace
Published by Max Salsbury for 24dash.com in Communities and also in Legal
Asbo for nuisance Croydon youth
A Croydon youth has been handed an Asbo after a catalogue of antisocial incidents, including riding his moped in a dangerous manner on a housing estate.
Dean Rily, 18, of Cator Crescent, New Addington was given the Asbo by Tower Bridge Magistrates' Court last week.
Croydon Council, working in partnership with the police and the New Addington Safer Neighbourhoods Team, pulled together a dossier of Riley’s bad behaviour over the past 24 months.
The court heard Riley had been involved in numerous incidents of antisocial behaviour with other youths in and around the Hares Bank area of New Addington.
He was said to have verbally harassed local people, ridden mopeds in a dangerous manner around the New Addington estate and had caused a general nuisance to residents.
The order bans Riley from entering the children’s play area at Hares Bank, bans him from being in a group of more than three people and from associating with several other youths, also from the New Addington area. He’s also banned from riding mopeds or similar vehicles unless doing so lawfully on public roads.
Sergeant Paul Potter, from the New Addington Safer Neighbourhoods Team, said: “This order will help to put a stop to the nuisance that Riley is causing residents in the area.
“His behaviour towards others has been quite intimidating and it has stopped young children and families from enjoying the playground area at Hares Bank.”
Croydon Council’s cabinet member for housing, Dudley Mead, said: “Four other Asbos against associates of Riley have also been granted in recent months and since then we’ve seen a reduction in the number of complaints of antisocial behaviour in the area, which shows that they are working.
“The important thing now is for residents to get in touch with us if they see Riley breaking any of the conditions of his Asbo.”
The conditions of the three-year Asbo mean that Riley must not:
1. Behave in a manner which causes or is likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress to any person(s) not of the same household of himself or to encourage, or incite people to behave in this way anywhere in the London borough of Croydon (LBC).
2. Assault or threaten any person with violence in the LBC.
3. Swear or engage in verbal abuse directed at anyone not in the same household as himself anywhere in the LBC.
4. Sit on, ride, or be passenger on any ‘go-ped’, moped, quad bike, tricycle, motorbike or motorcycle anywhere in the LBC except lawfully on a public road.
5. Drink alcohol or smoke/take any controlled substance in any public place in the LBC with the exception (in relation to alcohol) of licensed premises.
6. Join or be present in a group of more than three people (including himself) which is acting in a manner likely to frighten any person anywhere in the LBC.
7. Associate or be with any one of 13 named individuals anywhere in a public place in the LBC. This includes meeting, going to meet and or going around with any of the 13 individuals in Croydon
8. Enter the exclusion zone, comprising the children’s play area in Hares Bank and Queen Elizabeth’s Drive, at any time.
9. Intimidate or threaten anyone who has given evidence in relation to these [Asbo hearing] proceedings or encourage others to do the same.