University of Leicester celebrates International Women’s Day
Published by University of Leicester Press Office for University of Leicester in Communities and also in Education
Students and staff from University of Leicester and Eva Organization for Women (EOW) are hosting two free events to raise awareness of, and celebrate women’s past and current contributions to society.
On 8 March the University will host a conference and awards ceremony for women who have made an impact in the community, followed by an arts festival on 17 March celebrating diversity.
The events aim to be dynamic and inspiring, where women from all ethnic backgrounds and age groups can meet in a relaxing but stimulating atmosphere. There will be learning and networking opportunities.
EOW is a Leicester-based, not-for-profit organisation aiming to empower women. Its founder, Sadiyo Siad, is a current University of Leicester student.
Sadiyo says: “EOW truly recognises the intrinsic value of all women and girls and is proud to offer events dedicated to them. The events will provide a platform for reflection on both global and local gender issues raising awareness of women’s past and ongoing efforts in an increasingly tough world.
“In addition, the ‘festival’ on Saturday 17thMarch will be a celebration of what has been achieved but also will provide women and their families with a place to come and network, have fun, relax and enjoy the day.”
The conference, ‘Raising Awareness’, with speakers from the University of Leicester and the community, will take place in the Peter Williams Lecture Theatre, Fielding Johnson Building South Wing, Thursday 8th March 2012 (17.15 – 21.00). Talks will include:
- Women’s Commission at the UN – achievements and future plans
- Women’s Health and Wellbeing – present, past and future
- Women’s development and women in business
- New arrivals – issues around settling into a new community
- Girls, Women and HIV - worldwide and local
There will be a photography display from Kevin Night and poetry, both showcasing ‘Women and their Worlds’. EOW will present awards to acknowledge women who have made an impact in our communities.
‘Let’s Celebrate’, The Social and Arts Day, will take place in Queen’s Hall, Percy Gee Building, University of Leicester on Saturday 17th March (11.00 – 16.00)
Come together with women from the local community to celebrate, network and have fun! The day will include workshops:
- Women – an ageing population: needs and aspirations
- The Equality of Women and Men in the 21st century
- Visual Images of the Body Maternal
- Women as Carers
The festival will also showcase women through celebrating diversity in arts and culture and give you a diverse mix of sights, scents and sounds to inspire.
- International fashion show, short story and Art competition and Poetry
- Photography display by Kevin Night, with images for sale
- Performances by guitarist/singer George Simpson, and Leicester Amika Choir
- Complementary Therapists offering tasters; Henna Tattooists
- Luxury cupcakes and food goodies for sale
- Health and Wellbeing check-ups by GPs and advice by EOW members
Both events are free, open to the public and will take place at the University of Leicester, University Road, Leicester, LE1 7RH.