New year, new explosive team
Published by Jane Clee for Whitefriars Housing Group in Housing and also in Communities, Health
Gas safety team
More than 17,000 residents across Coventry are set to benefit from a new housing team created to keep the city safe from gas poisoning.
Every year about 30 people nationally die from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by gas appliances and flues which have not been properly maintained.
To ensure its tenants are safe, Whitefriars Housing Group carries out free annual checks in all its homes with gas appliances.
Now a dedicated gas section has been established in order to maximise access and to ensure continued compliance with gas regulations.
Every year the majority of tenants allow Whitefriars access to their homes to carry out a service of their gas appliances.
Whitefriars enters everyone who provides access at the first appointment into a quarterly prize draw worth £50.
Julie Osborne, gas section manager, said: “It’s only the minority of tenants who fail to let us in to carry out these essential checks, but that minority can put a lot of people in danger.
“Carbon monoxide cannot be seen, tasted or smelt, yet it can have tragic consequences and our team will be working to spread that message to encourage everyone to do their bit to keep people safe.
“Over the next five years Whitefriars will spend £9.25milion to upgrade heating within residents’ homes.
“Our task as a team will be to ensure that the work is carried out on time and within budget.”
Any resident wanting more information on gas servicing should call 024 7651 6750 or their housing office.
All contractors working for or on behalf of Whitefriars carry the company’s identification details which should always be checked before letting anyone in.