Crown Paints and MITIE join forces to support The Sanctuary
Published by Jo Foster for Crown Trade in Care and Support and also in Communities, Education, Health
Joanne Lathan of Crown Paints, Andrea Lyons of Self Help Services, Shirley Entwistle of MITIE, Coronation Street star, Jennie McAlpine and Brian Lathan, Crown Paints.
Crown Paints joined forces with volunteers from MITIE, the FTSE 250 strategic outsourcing company, to transform a new mental health facility in Manchester, opened by Coronation Street star Jennie McAlpine.
Four volunteers from MITIE’s painting business donated their time, resources and expertise over three days to paint rooms at The Sanctuary in Manchester, an overnight refuge for those suffering mental health problems, run by the charity Self Help Services.
The team worked in partnership with Crown Paints, who donated 50 litres of paint and developed a unique colour scheme for the project.
By combining their expertise, the team successfully created a soothing and welcoming environment that would also stand up to everyday use.
The paint scheme was created by Crown Paints’ Colour Service expert Kathryn Lloyd, who chose shades of pale grey and tropical blues with a flash of warm orange, using Crown Trade Clean Extreme Scrubbable Matt range and interior acrylic gloss throughout.
Based at the Kath Locke Big Life Centre, Moss Side, The Sanctuary offers a place of safety and support open between 11pm and 9am every night for adults feeling at crisis point and living with difficulties such as panic attacks, depression and low mood.
The centre, which is the only one of its kind in the Greater Manchester area, will provide support for over 1,800 people per year, both face-to-face and over the phone.
Jennie McAlpine, known to millions of viewers as Coronation Street’s Fiz, is a well-known supporter of mental health campaigns. She said: “It’s fantastic to see MITIE and Crown Paints support The Sanctuary. The centre will make a great difference to those in and around Manchester who are experiencing a mental health crisis and need somewhere to turn during the night.”
Nicky Lidbetter, Chief Officer of Self Help Services, said: “The Sanctuary marks a milestone in mental health provision for Manchester, and I’m really pleased that MITIE and Crown Paints have helped support it.
“With their support, we’ve succeeded in creating an environment that will benefit visitors to the centre.”
Stephen Barthorpe, MITIE’s sustainable business manager, said: “We’ve always believed at MITIE that a sustainable business is a better business. Projects like this show how we can make important contributions to the local communities we are a part of, and have a positive and lasting impact.”
October marks MITIE’s annual volunteering month, during which employees are particularly encouraged to take part in community projects. Every year MITIE people take part in over 1000 volunteering days throughout the UK.
Press release issued by Jane Shepherd, Shepherd PR Limited, 01335 368020, firstname.lastname@example.org
About Crown Paints:
- Crown Paints is owned by Danish decorative and protective coatings company Hempel, who employ over 5,000 people and operate in more than 80 countries.
- Crown Paints is the Holder of the Royal Warrant by Appointment to Her Majesty the Queen, as Manufacturers of Paints.
- Over 1,250 employees work for Crown Paints, which is based in Darwen in Lancashire, with manufacturing sites in Darwen and Hull, which operate to ISO 9001 accredited quality management system and ISO 14001 environmental management system.
- The company also has a network of 133 Crown Decorating Centres spread throughout the UK and Ireland.
- Crown Paints serves every sector of the decorative coatings market, promoting its market-leading paint and woodcare brands – Crown, Sandtex, Permoglaze, Macpherson, Sadolin and Berger – to consumer and professional audiences alike, as well as key export markets.
- Crown Paints has been making paint for over 200 years.
- Crown Paints is committed to delivering its sustainability targets and its work in this field has been recognised at several regional and national awards. The company is also able to measure the carbon footprint of all of its products and has met its targets of achieving zero waste to landfill.
MITIE is a £2bn revenue strategic outsourcing company. We work with people who want to perform better – now and in the future. We help our clients to run more efficient and effective businesses by looking after their facilities, their energy needs and the people they’re responsible for. Each of our 70,000 people uses their passion, knowledge and ingenuity to deliver the very best for each and every client.
We work with our clients in three ways:
+ Strategy and consultancy
+ Facilities, people and energy management
+ Service delivery including catering, cleaning, security, maintenance, landscaping and pest control.
Some take full advantage of our whole range of expertise, others may only need one aspect of what we do.
No other business in the UK offers so many of these services under one roof, delivered individually and together by people with such a strong sense of purpose.
People tell us we’re spirited, imaginative and committed.
It’s all this that makes us special. It’s this that makes us MITIE.
To find out more about what we do visit us at www.mitie.com